Thursday, November 13, 2008

Math Mania: More Adventures in Room 341


Today my students' world expanded.  They were introduced to the math marvel we call, "Flip Over Math."  This educational phenomenon allows students to practice their addition and multiplication facts, and then flip over their worksheets to check their answers.  What will Educators come up with next?!

When I first announced the addition of these new worksheets to our daily math activities, my students were fairly unfazed.  I wish, though, that you could have heard the collective intake of breath when my students learned they could flip over the worksheet to check their answers.  I've never seen a group of students mob a table faster than my students did when I set down the Flip Over Math.  

All morning, the kids were in a perpetual state of bliss, blazing through flip over after flip over. It gives me a little thrill to watch my students stand in awe of life's simplest pleasures.  I hope they rub off on me.  And they had better hold onto their hats tomorrow, because I'm busting out the math bingo.


1 comment:

  1. You must have so much fun with those kids. You are so animated, that they must love having you as a teacher as well. This made me laugh.
    So in order to return the favor, here are 3 jokes from one of the third-graders I work with:

    1. Why did the football coach go to the bank?
    Because he wanted his quarterback!
    2. Why didn't the skeleton go to the party?
    Because he had no BODY to go with!
    3. Why is this joke as slow as molasses?
    Because it's malast joke!

    ReplyDelete