Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thursday Things: A Really Good Thursday

I woke up yesterday feeling good. Really good—like, normal good. My limbs didn't feel weighed down by lead, the deep fatigue had crept out of my body, I didn't ache all over, and all I wanted to do was whoop and twirl. Instead, I basked in the glorious feeling of renewed health all morning and I got. things. done. Really exciting things like investigating insurance claims, washing dishes, and taking my computer into the shop where it is currently undergoing some sort of rehabilitative surgery. I have high hopes that I will be blogging from the equivalent of a honda-turned-corvette come Tuesday.

In the meantime, I'm writing from a computer that reminds me of the clunky station wagon my mom drove for ten years--a car that was practically longer than our house, and had a gigantic rust spot on the side, back seats that faced backward (the most coveted seats in the cul-de-sac), and an engine that died at every other stop sign. It definitely took longer to get places in that thing. A lot longer.

Needless to say, I'm blaming this painfully slow computer for another Friday edition of Thursday things. (But it could just be that Thursday was so full of feel-good productivity and busyness that my Thursday burst of energy is to blame. Now that is my kind of excuse!)

And now, the Friday Edition of Thursday Things (My apologies for the weird spacing. Station wagon computers are not able to space things correctly):

1. I finally bit the bullet and bought one of these for work:

I'd written off the idea of a computer-carrying roller bag after my experience with this:



My principal gave one of these to me the week he hired me to teach third grade, and it would have worked out just fine if I were about ten inches shorter and enjoyed snapping together its flimsy plastic sides each time I used it. But I'm 5 '8 and I never had an affinity for K'NEX.

Anyway, after a year of walking across campus in 100 degree weather, sweaty high heels, and a pencil skirt that reduced my long stride to a timid waddle, with my arms full textbooks, my computer, the 40-60 papers I'd just graded and the 40-60 packets I was about to hand out, I'm just thrilled to have this handy dandy computer/book/paper carrier on wheels.

My juggling days are over.


2. Thanks to this new roller bag that is actually a carry on, I'm really looking forward to the next time I fly. Which, just happens to be this September.

Destination: Steamboat Springs, Colorado.

I'm going on a five-day "conversation retreat" with eleven other people from around the country. I can't wait to tell you about it.


3. My clinical nutritionist advised me to go organic on the following list of fruits and veggies. Apparently this produce is particularly drenched in pesticides, and, I'm learning, pesticides contribute to high levels of toxicity in our systems that make us tired and more susceptible to illness.

I give you the Dirty Dozen:

  1. Apples


  2. Celery


  3. Strawberries


  4. Peaches


  5. Spinach


  6. Nectarines


  7. Grapes


  8. Sweet bell peppers


  9. Potatoes


  10. Blueberries


  11. Lettuce


  12. Kale/collard greens

Happy organic shopping everyone!




And over and out.


No comments:

Post a Comment