Saturday, May 7, 2016

Elizabeths

Last night I had another pocket of relief(ish) from my neurological symptoms, and I felt well enough for a girlfriend, Elizabeth, to come over for a girls night. Elizabeth is one of a kind. I met her a year and half ago at my church's women's Bible study, and two months after meeting, I fell desperately, scarily sick. From that point on, I've probably seen her an average of once every four months due to the limitations of my illness. Even so, she has remained a faithful, supportive friend in my life, despite only two months of friendship foundation.

Last night she brought the movie Brooklyn, along with berries and apricots for dessert. We talked for hours before starting the movie, and when the movie's credits rolled, we could've talked for hours longer. My vertigo started getting bossy, though, so we called it a night. But what a gift those hours together were.

............

I got a package last week (another answer to my mail prayer!) from one of my dearest childhood girlfriends, another Elizabeth, and its contents had me gasping aloud with delight.

Content 1: Silly Putty — for playing.


One of the many griefs of perpetual bed rest is the inability to play. Play is such an important part of emotional and mental health, and without it, life loses lots of its sparkle. But I'll tell what's perfect for bed rest play: silly putty for making sculptures, and bubbles, and loud snapping noises. Oh my sweet heavens, I love feeling like a kid again.

Content 2: A Puppy — because I want one. Thankfully, this puppy is the hypo-est of hypoallergenic puppies.


I've put him on my nightstand to keep me company throughout the day. I still haven't named him, because I need to find the perfect name. Any suggestions? I should tell you that this puppy is playful, affectionate, and smart, and I'm thinking his name should reflect these qualities.

Content 3: Chapstick — this is an essential.


Content 4: A card filled with kind, encouraging words.


I have this card displayed next to the last card Elizabeth gave me, because she is one of the best card choosers, fillers, and senders of life.


Golly, I'm thankful for my ELIZABETHS!


Happy weekend, folks.

I'm cheering for ya, Home Skillets.

-Sarah


P.S. The pockets of relief continue. They have become the rest between "sets" of loud symptoms, and I'm so thankful for them. I'm hoping they'll carry me through the end of the semester before I turn my attention back to the treatments I've been investigating. I'm hoping to move forward with the first of these treatments the last week of May or first week of June.

Thank you for continuing to pray for me, my friends.


© by scj

2 comments:

  1. I know the 2nd Elizabeth, and love her, too!
    And wasn't Brooklyn a GREAT movie?
    Yay for pockets of relief!!
    How about George for the puppy's name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie,

      She is just so lovable! I did enjoy Brooklyn, especially the scenes of the Irish countryside and seaside. :)

      George is a great name! Very regal. I shall add it to my list of names, posthaste. Thanks for weighing in, Suzie. :)

      -Sarah

      Delete