Thursday, January 31, 2013

I just love y'all

Last night I pulled the keys out of my car's ignition, and stepped into the winter darkness. The horizon bled purple into a navy sky, and a few clouds framed a fat moon, looking like paper cut-outs.

On nights like this, I want to sit in the stillness and listen to the wind in the willows. I want to watch the moonrise from behind my hill, and try to count the stars.

I want to pinch myself.

I've lived here two years, as of this week, and I still cannot believe this place is my home. I love living here.

I love the sunlight that pours through my french doors every morning. I love the moonlight that spills onto my garden each evening.


But most of all, I love the light that shines in the kitchen window of the main house every night.

The light means J, M and K are home. These three have become my family away from home these last two years, and having them near makes me feel safe and at rest. And today, as I gratefully remember the day I moved here two years ago, I want to thank them.

I want to thank them for making me dinner and buying me groceries when I was too sick to do it myself, back when we'd just barely met — when I was the stranger who had moved into their vacant studio.

I want to thank them for helping me resolve car problems and plant my garden, and running my errands back when I couldn't muster up the energy to run them myself.

I want to thank them for including me in fun family celebrations and outings, opening up their home to my guests, and introducing me to new friends.

J, you are gracious, and generous — the most joy-filled person I know. You love life and delight in people. These two years you have welcomed me into your life as a tender mother, loyal friend, and sister in Christ. I'm grateful for you, and for the ways you've blessed me — for the gifts you left outside my door on the days you knew I'd be loneliest, for the phone calls at night to check in on me, for the long conversations when I've needed to talk, for your wisdom, and for your prayers.


M, you are tender, thoughtful and kind. In your quiet way you are attentive to the needs of others, and you are quick to care for them. You regularly stop to joke with me on your way to work, and you always give me some of your barbecue in the evenings. And boooy, can you work a grill. I've eaten some of the best steak of my life these two years, that's for sure. I'm thankful for the ways you have modeled unrelenting generosity.

K, you are considerate, witty, and oh so sweet. You are quick to give words of encouragement to others, and you are full of insight and wisdom. You are also observant. You notice people, and you treat them with kindness. Your sensitivity to others is one of the many reasons people are drawn to you. You are also bursting with talent. I love when I can hear you singing and writing songs on the piano. One day I'd like you to give me a private concert. ;) In the meantime, I'm thankful to have you as my California 'sister.'


God has used the good, and unexpected gift of your family's friendship to teach me to believe his promise in Psalm 23:

"Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life."

I love you guys, and I hope you're okay with me living here until we're all stooped and gray, forever and ever and ever. Amen.

Thank you for two tremendous years!


© by scj

No comments:

Post a Comment